My Erasmus Life

 Have you ever wondered what it's like to live in France? Probably not and it was a good decision. But I'm sure you thought about going on Erasmus.

I have always dreamed of living in France. I even did it for a 9 months thanks to Erasmus. But was it that cool in retrospect? Definitely not. Everyone says how amazing it was on Erasmus but they are lying. It's not simple and it's not for everyone. I'll tell you about my stay in Strasbourg at University of Strasbourg.

First, don't think everyone is waiting for you. Professors and students at the university you come to don't care about you. You are a problem because you don't speak French like French people. You don't have more time for the exams even you don't know the methodology or you don't understand the tasks. During oral exams, professors yell at you because you are pronouncing words wrong. I'm not lying. I failed 4 exams because I used the wrong words. That's what the professor said. Welcome to the University of Strasbourg! When I got the minimum number of points to pass the exam, I was the happiest in the world. Really, I, who must have the best grades at my university, was happy about it. Now thanks to Erasmus I have no motivation to get good grades. 

The hardest part of Erasmus is to find an accommodation. Especially in France it is almost impossible to rent a room if you are from abroad and you don't have any French friends (lovely bureaucracy). Actually the cheapest option is to rent a room in a dormitory but think twice. It was the most disgusting place I've ever lived. Believe me. The kitchen and the toilets were shared and were dirty all the time. There were bugs in the bathroom. DISGUSTING. The room was okay. But now a funny fact. There were no normal pillows! Only a bolster pillow. Don't ask me why. I don't know. 

Do you think you will be travelling a lot on Erasmus? Good joke. I didn't have time for trips, even I didn't travel more than several kilometers from Strasbourg. I was studying all the time to pass the exams that were every few weeks. But I didn't pass them anyway so...

I promise to be more optimistic in the future post. 

Have you been on Erasmus? What are your experiences? I'd love to know! 

Strasbourg (photo taken by me)

Comments

  1. I guess it wasn't a lovely experience in the end which deeply upsets me :( but then again, you've survived! I'd love to participate in Erasmus in the future, but I think about it less and less each passing day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts